Makes: 4 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Hot cooked pasta and grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until tender, 30-45 seconds. Add tomatoes, beans, spinach, Italian seasoning and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with pasta and cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without pasta and cheese): 147 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.