Main Dishes, Under 400 Calories
Makes: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4-lb whole chicken
- Celery stalks, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 med. carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Spray a roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the paprika, chipotle powder, honey, lemon juice, oil, garlic, and salt in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Gently loosen the skin from the breast and leg portions of the chicken by slipping your fingers under the skin. Rub the paste evenly under the skin and on top of the skin. Tuck the wing tips behind the chicken’s shoulders and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Make a bed for the chicken with the celery and carrots in the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Add the onions and broth to the pan. Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh (not touching the bone) registers 165 F, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. If the chicken is browning too fast, cover it with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it stand for 10 minutes. Carve the chicken. Remove the chicken skin before eating. Serve the carved chicken with the roasted vegetables.
For more information and to find the recipe source, Click Here.
Recipe by: Ingrid Hoffmann | Photography by: Renée Comet