Makes: 2 servings | Serving Size: 2 eggplant “steaks”
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 4 thick slices (about 6 oz per slice)
- 2 1/2 tsp. tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. small fresh mint leaves
- 2 lemon wedges
- Prepare an outdoor or indoor grill. Lightly brush the eggplant with the oil using a silicone brush. Sprinkle with the pepper, salt, and cinnamon.
- Grill over direct medium-high heat, about 6 minutes per side, until the eggplant is fully cooked through and rich grill marks form.
- Transfer the eggplant to serving plates and sprinkle with the pine nuts and mint. Serve with a lemon wedge on each dish.
- Heat 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup finely chopped red onion and 3 oz lean, ground beef sirloin, and sauté until the beef is cooked through and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, 1/2 cup marinara sauce of choice, and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, and bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle the beef mixture over the eggplant in step 3 and sprinkle with the pine nuts and mint. This dish is higher in sodium than the American Diabetes Association guideline of 480 mg for a combo main dish.
Per Serving: Calories 320 | Total Fat 15 g (Sat. Fat 2.4 g) | Cholesterol 20 mg | Sodium 570 mg | Potassium 1,290 mg | Total Carbohydrate 36 g (Fiber 15 g, Sugars 15 g) | Protein 14 g | Phosphorus 240 mg
Choices: Starch 0.5 | Nonstarchy Vegetable 5 | Lean Protein 1, Fat 3
For more information: Click Here.